The European Network of Election Monitoring Organizations (ENEMO) is an international network of 21 leading non-profit, non-partisan and non-governmental organizations from 18 countries of Central and Eastern Europe and Central Asia, including three European Union countries, founded on September 29, 2001.
ENEMO seeks to promote civil society organizations’ involvement in societies with democracies in transition and other non-democratic forms of governing, towards improvement of electoral processes, greater transparency of the governments and their accountability to the citizens, and respect of basic human rights and freedoms. To achieve this aim, ENEMO works independently or in cooperation with its member organizations.
The main activity of ENEMO consists in assessing electoral processes and the political environment by deploying international election observation missions, and offering accurate and impartial observation reports. ENEMO’s observation missions use international benchmarks and standards for democratic elections and the host country's legal framework to evaluate the electoral process. ENEMO and all of its member organizations have endorsed the 2005 Declaration of Principles for International Election Observation and the 2012 Declaration of Global Principles for Non-partisan Election Observation and Monitoring by Citizen Organizations. Each ENEMO observer signs the Code of Conduct for International Election Observers prior the mission start.
To date, ENEMO has organized 23 international election observation missions to seven countries:
- Albania (2005 parliamentary elections),
- Georgia (2008 early presidential elections),
- Kazakhstan (2005 presidential elections),
- Kosovo (2009 municipal elections; 2010 parliamentary elections, 2013 municipal elections),
- Kyrgyzstan (2005 presidential elections; 2005 parliamentary elections; 2007 early parliamentary elections; 2009 presidential elections, and 2010 parliamentary elections),
- Moldova (2009 parliamentary elections; 2016 presidential elections),
- Ukraine (2004 presidential elections; 2006 parliamentary elections; 2006 mayoral elections in three municipalities; 2007 parliamentary elections; 2010 presidential elections, 2012 parliamentary elections, 2013 repeat parliamentary elections in 5 districts, 2014 early presidential elections, 2014 early parliamentary elections, and 2015 local elections).
ENEMO member organizations have monitored more than 200 national elections and trained more than 200,000 observers.
Address: Bul. Josipa Broza 23 A, Floor IV, Apartment 119
81 000 Podgorica, Montenegro
Tel: +382 (0) 20 653 736